The Insight Dialogue Community invites you to join us on May 15/16, 2022 in honor of Vesak. This day is a celebration and recognition of Buddha’s birth, awakening and death.
This occasion is meant to be one of reverence, reflection, meditation, celebration, joy and new beginnings. A common intention we will set on this day is a recommitment to Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha. This is a celebration of the potential we all have to progress on the path to liberation just as Gotama did before his own awakening.
Please join in the live sessions with Jan Surrey or Gregory Kramer. Whatever amount of time during this day you can devote to honoring the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha will be up to you. As you practice, know that the Insight Dialogue Community and other Sanghas world-wide are also celebrating with you.
Gregory will offer a short talk and contemplation on the theme of the Heavenly Messengers: aging, illness, death, and the vision of a life committed to the Path. These were the Buddha’s “wake-up calls.” The essential import of this is that he was born, awakened, and died as a human being: not a god, not a deva. The Buddha did not live a life without urges and issues. He realized an exquisite human capacity. Thus, we trust we can awaken, even with our presently complicated and ragged lives and broken social systems. How have we been inspired by these messengers to wake up and participate with integrity? This session will include ID practice with hosted Breakout Rooms.
- 11:00 pm – 12:30 am UTC May 15th/ May 16th
- 9:00 – 10:30 am AEST (Sydney) May 16th
- 7:00 – 8:30 am HKT (Hong Kong) May 16th
- 1:00 – 2:30 am CEST (Central Europe) May 16th
- 12:00 – 1:30 am BST (London) May 16th
- 7:00 – 8:30 pm EDT (New York) May 15th
- 4:00 – 5:30 pm PDT (Los Angeles) May 15th
Please join us for Dharma Contemplation. We will contemplate passages from the Mahaparinibbana Sutta -the story of the Buddha’s death, his last teachings, and the events that immediately precede and follow.
The Sutta to be contemplated will be sent out one day before the event.
- 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm UTC May 16th
- 3:00 am – 4:30 am AEST (Sydney) May 17th
- 1:00 – 2:30 am HKT (Hong Kong) May 17th
- 7:00 – 8:30 pm CEST (Central Europe) May 16th
- 6:00 – 7:30 pm BST (London) May 16th
- 1:00 – 2:30 pm EDT (New York) May 16th
- 10:00 – 11:30 am PDT (Los Angeles) May 16th